Sunday, December 8, 2013

Corn Chowder with Beef Sausage

This is the season of soups. Thanks to my handy dandy immersion blender, I've made at least 5 new (to me) types of soup this year. I've never made soup in my life (unless you count opening a can and putting it on the stove) so this is a big step for me.

Tonight, I'm making a meaty corn chowder. The recipe is from Laura, one of my closest friends, and I am SO glad she introduced me to this soup. I made it when Caleb and Louisa visited, and then again for the kids in the Youth Worship band. Every Sunday after church, Alex leads the band practice and I heat up something for lunch that I generally cook the night before. They've had this soup once a couple months ago and loved it, so I figured it was time to whip it up again. 

I even have a little helper at my feet. 


Start by slicing up 2 packages of Beef Sausage into 1/2" discs. Then quarter those discs. (Nice and bite sized.)


Brown the sausage in a skillet. Drain most of the fat once they've been cooking for a few minutes. I like getting them REALLY browned...even a little black. But that's just me. Add 2 chopped onions. If you have any tricks for chopping onions in a way that prevents crying, please tell me in the comments. Please. 



The onions will become translucent and a little brown and caramelized. While all this is happening, boil 6 cups of chicken broth in a large pot. Chop up 6 cups of potatoes into small bite sized pieces. Dump the washed, peeled, chopped potatoes into the boiling broth. (Laura has converted me to a Swanson's girl. A couple months ago I was fine putting 6 chicken bouillon cubes in some water. Now I buy Swansons. You win, Laura!)


Let the potatoes get soft in the boiling broth. When they've gotten tender, add the meat and onions. Stir together and pour in 2 cans of cream style corn, 2 cans of whole kernel corn and 2 cans of evaporated milk. Stir all together and let the mixture come back to a slight boil. Season with a good amount of marjoram. Somewhere between 1/2 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp. You can add black pepper and salt if you want, but I've found that the meat adds enough saltiness on it's own. Maybe just put a salt and pepper shaker on the table when you serve the soup and people can add their desired amount. 


This recipe is doubled, and it is maybe even better heated up than it is the first night. 


The kids at church would agree, I think. It's one of the highlights of my week, bringing lunch on Sundays to this wonderful little group that is generous with compliments and always hungry after a long morning at church. Boosts my cooking ego a teensy bit. 

Here's some of the kids rocking some Rend Collective. 


This soup ended up being perfect for a snowy day's lunch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment