Sunday, November 9, 2014

Baby Shower!

My sister Laney, sister-in-law Nadine, and mom threw me an incredibly beautiful and precious baby shower yesterday! It was at Nadine and Jim's house in Lakewood, which is such a special place to me! I lived there for a couple years and it was on that front porch that I met Alex in person for the first time before our first date.

The colors of the shower were blues, oranges and grey, which are the colors of little Emmett's nursery. The theme was Baby Lumberjackson (of course!) and there were such detailed and adorable decorations and foods that reflected the theme so perfectly. I am so excited that I get to use many of these decorations in the nursery! It's all feeling so real. The shower was on November 8, which is exactly a month before Emmett's due date. 

I've included a ton of photos below, documenting the special day! 



The pinecones are from the backyard in Big Bear, Nadine framed a bunch of photos from the maternity shoot, and my mom found the adorable woodland animals for the table! I love how the flowers are in tin cans and the feathers and moss add so much to the forest-y theme.


Laney loved how the verse in this frame really matched the "birth" theme... "go out in joy... get it?!".








I took probably a hundred pictures of the dessert table. It was so beautiful! There were mini bundts, s'more pops, chocolate logs, acorn caramels, and little cupcakes. 


My mom made these acorn caramels out of little chewy caramels and tootsie rolls. She heated them and then molded one piece of each into a cute little acorn with a cap, including a stem! This was such a cute creative idea, and they turned out so perfectly. 


These wooden platters are actually ceramic and were made for Jim and Nadine for their wedding by a family friend, who also happened to be the Ceramics teacher at our high school! It was the perfect plate for our chocolate logs. 


My best friend used to work for Sweet and Saucy (and now lives halfway across the country) and having these cute cupcakes reminded me of her! We picked up a variety of flavors from their shop on Atlantic Ave. in Long Beach for this sweet display and they were delicious. (My personal favorite was the blueberry pancake mini-cupcake). 



Mini-bundts are my favorite! We get them from Bundts on Melrose, which is actually on Long Beach Blvd., right by my parents' house in Bixby Knolls. I love this little shop! All they sell are these little bundts and I love supporting such an adorable local business. Their shop is so cute. 



These were so easy to make! Just a marshmallow on the end of a skewer, dipped in melted chocolate and then sprinkled with a crumbling of graham crackers. So tasty!




The gift table was covered in the fabric that I'm using in the nursery for the window valences! Laney made the little paintings that I will put up and Nadine made the yarn pom-poms, which will look so cute in Emmett's room. 



Here's a shot of mom and Laney setting up the food table. So many of my favorites!


From left to right, a cream-cheese log, surrounded by pretzels. (Looked like a tree stump!), crackers, mini pigs in a blanket, turkey wraps (looked like sliced birch branches), crock pot of my dad's famous beans (recipe post to come!). 


Here we've got sliced sausage braid (an Homet family favorite) and an absolutely delicious salad that included raspberries, blackberries, gorgonzola, pine nuts and a a raspberry vinaigrette over mixed greens.


There were Izze's, pink lemonade and iced tea for drinks. So refreshing for such a HOT mid-November day in SoCal! (Seriously, it was over 80 degrees).


The party favors were these precious Saplings! They are ready to be planted and were wrapped so sweetly! I love the little ties with cute paper patterns.



Time to eat! Emmett was hungry.



Here's one of the games Laney planned! Match the adult animal with the baby name. The winner was Lori Hermann, she got 15 out of 20 right! I got 12 right, which I was preeeeetty proud of.



Before anyone wonders if my Aunt Carol is crazy, she's participating in the second game, smelling the (edible) contents of an assortment of diapers and trying to guess what's in there! 


We had a bunch of diaper sniffers...


Here's our winner, contemplating the melty, squished, candy center of this diaper! Jen's got quite a nose on her. 


Here's my Aunt Carol and my mom!


Nadine, showing off the mysterious contents of the diapers. 


Laney and Nadine. Nay is going to be such a great auntie and god-mother! Just look at that face! 


Here was the measure-the-belly game! Every single person over-estimated my tummy's circumference, and Amanda and Andrea were the closest guessers and winners, guessing within an inch of my actual belly size! 


I was so happy to see old and precious friends, like Christen! 





Lori Hermann brought me a few of Heather Kent's ADORABLE print-screened onesies. I have been admiring her shop, Olive Shoot Clothing Co., and am so happy to own a couple of her creations for Emmett to wear!


Laney got me the cutest little Lumberjackson outfit! A knit onesie and puffy vest. He is going to be SO well-dressed! 


Here's some after-party pics of Jim scooping and eating the contents of the game-diapers. He would. 


And here's a before-party pic of Alex! I hope to see all of these features on our little one. His squinty eyes and the laugh lines he gets on his nose and his majestic facial-hair growing abilities. We will have quite a little looker if Emmett takes after his dad! 

I had the most wonderful time at my baby shower and am so thankful for all the people that attended and brought such sweet and special gifts! It was a truly memorable day and one that I will treasure for years and years to come. 

|| Posted by Kate ||

No comments:

Post a Comment